Wine Pairing: Chenin Blanc
Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 8 mins
- 3 lb. jumbo shrimp
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano (from 1 bunch)
- 3 lemons, each cut into 6 wedges
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with salt using a large heavy knife or a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a blender along with lemon juice and pepper and blend until smooth. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream, blending until emulsified. Transfer dressing to a bowl and stir in chopped oregano.
- Prepare grill for cooking over direct heat with medium-hot charcoal (moderate heat for gas).
- Toss shrimp with 1/4 cup dressing in a large bowl and marinate no more than 15 minutes. (Texture of shrimp will change if marinated too long.)
- Lightly brush lemon wedges with some of remaining dressing and grill, turning over once, until grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large platter.
- Grill shrimp on lightly oiled grill rack (covered only if using a gas grill), turning over once, until just cooked through, and 7 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to platter with lemons as grilled. Serve with remaining dressing.