Wine pairing: Verdejo
Seared lemon garlic butter Scallops
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• 1 1/4 pounds scallops
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
• 4-5 large garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic)
• Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
• 1/4 cup dry white wine or broth
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot and sizzling. Add the scallops in a single layer without overcrowding the pan (work in batches if needed).
2. Season with salt and pepper to taste and fry for 2-3 minutes on one side (until a golden crust forms underneath), then flip and fry again for 2 minutes until crisp, lightly browned and cooked through (opaque). Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan, scraping up any browned bits left over from the scallops. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (1 minute).
4. Pour in wine (or broth) and bring to a simmer for 2 minutes or until wine reduces by about half. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter and lemon juice.
5. Remove pan (skillet) from the heat; add the scallops back into the pan to warm through slightly and garnish with parsley.
6. Serve over rice, pasta, garlic bread or steamed vegetables