Wine pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa, California) or Merlot (California)
How to cook a NY Strip Steak
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
- 2 (12-ounce) NY strip steaks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Pull the steaks out of the refrigerator 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Heat a grill to high heat. If your grill has a thermometer, aim for between 550 and 700 degrees.
- Brush both sides of each steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. When the grill is hot, place the steaks diagonally on the grill — if your grill were a clock, start the steaks at 10 o’clock — and cook for 3 to 4 minutes with the lid closed. Next, give the steaks a twist, turning them to 2 o’clock on the grill, to give the steaks those perfect crisscross grill marks.
- Close the lid and let steaks cook for an additional 3 minutes, then flip to cook the other side until an instant-read thermometer reads 125 degrees, 4 to 6 more minutes (for medium-rare). Transfer the steaks to a plate and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Serve.TIP:
What temperature am I looking for?
That depends on what you like. But PLEASE do not go above 155°. 😘
– Medium rare: 130-135°
– Medium: 135-145°
– Medium well: 145-155°